Marriage Application Information
- Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership Licenses:
For two persons to establish a Marriage in this State of New Jersey, it shall be necessary that they satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Not be a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriage in this State or recognized by this State;
- Be at least 18 years of age
Where to apply:
- The marriage license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license will be valid throughout the State of New Jersey.
- If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, the application must be submitted in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed. In this case, please note that the license will be only valid in the issuing municipality.
Couples are advised to make application no later than one week prior to the wedding date.
Applications are taken from 8:30 am to 4 pm.
Please call (856) 429-4700 ext 206 or email email@example.com Megan Giordano, Registrar before coming to the office.
Required documents when applying for a marriage license:
- Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of your residency.
- Your social security card or social security number. (Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential)
- A witness, 18 years of age or older. The witness will be asked to provide phote ID such as a driver's license
- The $28 application fee. (Cash or checks only; we cannot accept credit or debit cards)
- **$28 fee is now being waived for marriage license applications, effective July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023**
Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Requested additional documents:
- A copy of your birth certificate to establish your parents’ names and related birth information. (This is helpful but not required). Please note that you need to know the spelling of the parents names at birth and where they were born.
- If you are divorced, have had a previous civil union dissolved, domestic partnership terminated or have had a civil union annulled, please bring the decree(s) or the civil annulment documents.
- If your former spouse/civil union or domestic partner is deceased, please bring the death certificate.
After you apply:
There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. There is no 72 hour waiting period for a remarriage; however, you must bring a certified copy of your existing marriage.
The application is valid for six (6) months from the date accepted. Only one marriage license may be granted from a marriage application.
The marriage license is valid for thirty (30) days and an expiration date will be entered on your license when it is picked up. If the license expires before being used, a new application must be made which will require another $28 fee.
The Next Step is to Pick Up your Marriage License:
- Make arrangements with our office to pick your license prior to your wedding date.
- Please give the marriage license to the person perfoming the ceremony to complete.
- This person is responsible to sign and complete sections 3, 4, 5a, 5b, and 5c.
- Your two witnesses will sign and complete sections 6a, 6b, 6c, 7a, 7b, and 7c.
- Please insure that all parties write plainly and legibly using a BLACK or BLUE ball point pen
- Be careful when completing the license. The State of New Jersey will NOT accept CROSSOUTS, WRITEOVERS, ERASURES, CORRECTIONS, ALTERATIONS, CHANGES, and/or WHITE OUTS
After all copies of the license is filled out in their entirety they should be dispersed as follows:
- Copies #1 & #2 are to be submitted to the local Office of the Registrar in the Municipality where the ceremony was performed within 5 days of the ceremony
- Copy #3 is retained by the couple
- Copy #4 is retained by the person who performed the ceremony
Finally you will need to obtain Certified Copies of your marriage from the Municipality where the ceremonty took place. Please refer back to our page if you were married in Haddonfield; if not you will need to contact the Municipality where you were married