Commemorative Tree Donation Program
By planting a tree in honor of a special event or a special person, you can provide a remembrance that is important to you, your family and your community. The Borough of Haddonfield is pleased to work with individuals interested in giving a dedicated tree. This information is offered to help you in your planning.
- A $1,275 minimum donation is requested to establish a dedicated tree. This covers the cost of acquiring the tree and the commemorative plaque as well as the planting and maintenance cost. Please make your request in writing to the Haddonfield Shade Tree Commission at 242 Kings Highway East, Haddonfield, NJ 08033. An application form including the requested wording for the plaque and the preferred planting site is available through the Borough website, below.
- Tree types and planting sites will be selected by the Haddonfield Shade Tree Commission in consultation with the Department of Public Works. This insures that the sites are appropriate to support the tree, are in locations where plantings are needed by the borough, and that the tree species are consistent with the street trees planted successfully throughout the borough (note the Quercus Alba, or White Oak, is no longer a species available for this Program). All sites are provided on a first come, first served basis, based on a completed application, including payment.
- Trees acquired for dedication are sized at 2.5" to 3.0" DBH (diameter at breast height) which have an approx. height at planting of 8 to 12 feet. Size will depend on the type of tree selected and its availability. The Department of Public Works will acquire, plant and maintain the dedicated tree.
- Donors may request an engraved brass plaque through the Shade Tree Commission, to be placed near the dedicated tree. This approved plaque is approximately 5 inches by 8 inches and includes commemorative wording as well as the tree's scientific and common names. Contact the Shade Tree Commission for further information and to determine the wording for the plaque.
- If a dedicated tree dies within 3 years of being planted, it will be replaced with no additional donation. The replacement tree will be a similar species to ensure that the new tree matches the original commemorative plaque wording. Any replacement planting will be conducted by the Borough as part of its spring planting program. After 3 years, if a dedicated tree dies, an additional donation is required to replace the tree and maintain the engraved plaque in the tree well. The cost of the additional donation is the current cost of a replacement tree in accordance with the Borough ordinance (the cost as of December 2023 for a replacement tree is $400). If no additional donation is made, the engraved plaque will be given to the donor and the site will be made available for a new donor. Dedications are made for the life of the dedicated tree, not the location itself.
- Line 1
Reason for commemoration and date (letter height of 5/16", approximately 24-30 letters and/or spaces)
- Line 2
Name of honored person or event (letter height of 8/16", approximately 16-20 letters and/or spaces)
- Line 3
Information about honored person or event (letter height of 6/16", approximately 18-25 letter and/or space maximum)
- Line 4
Information about honored person or event or donor (letter height of 6/16", approximately 18-25 letter and/or space maximum)
- Line 5
Common and botanical name of commemorative tree (letter height of 5/16", approximately 24-30 letters and/or spaces) This tree species information is required on all commemorative plaques.
Examples of commemorative plaques:
In Loving Memory of
John A. Smith
Good friend to All
Willow Oak (Quercus phellos)
With Much Thanks to
25 Years of Service
Sawtooth Oak (Q. accustissima)
Sample size of bronze plaque - 8" wide by 5" high - with ½ inch double-lined border around the plaque. Available space is 7" by 4". The plaque will be attached to a display stone, to ensure that it is not easily removed or vandalized, and placed in the planting site.
Sites Available for Commemorative Trees
Sites are available for commemorative tree plantings. Sites will be allotted on a first come, first serve basis, based on the date that the completed application and accompanying payment is received. Applications are available on-line and through the Borough Hall, and should be returned to the Shade Tree Commission at 242 Kings Highway East, Haddonfield, NJ 08033.
Following is a list of sites that are available (as of 12/27/23)
Popular sites are generally locations along Kings Highway and adjacent areas along Tanner Street and
Haddon Avenue, however, Commemorative Tree locations may be identified across various Borough park strips and other public property in Haddonfield with Shade Tree Commission approval.
Application (PDF 40K)