How do I know if I live in the Historic District?
An annual letter is sent to all residents of the Historic District to remind them that their homes are located in the Historic District and to inform them of any new information or resources available from the Borough pertaining to the Historic District. A map of the Historic District is also available.

I want to renovate the exterior of my home in the Historic District, what do I need to do?
First, be sure that all appropriate applications have been filed for the planned work (Zoning/Construction). 

Next, Borough ordinance requires property owners in the District to obtain approval or a "Certificate of Appropriateness" from the Planning Board before making exterior changes to the buildings, structures or sites. A Certificate of Appropriateness requires an application be made to the Zoning Office. The process includes design review by the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) and then final approval from the Planning Board.

Please remember that roofing, siding or any alteration to the exterior appearance of the structure requires a Certificate of Appropriateness. If proposed changes entail extensive structural renovation, a registered architect or engineer may be required.

Is there any work that does not require a Certificate of Appropriateness?
The Historic Preservation Commission does not regulate the color of a building or structure, ornamental or decorative items (such as window boxes or flags) or landscaping. All other work requires the submission of an application for a Certificate of Appropriateness. In some instances, the HPC Chairperson may determine that the proposed work does not require review from the full Commission.

If you are in doubt about a planned change, contact the Zoning Officer with any questions or concerns. If you require any further assistance or guidance for the renovation, rehabilitation or preservation of your home in the Historic District, please contact the Technical Consultant, Lisa Soderberg at hpc@haddonfield-nj.gov.